18 March 2016

Letters Written on Stamps

Yesterday's yummy postcard arrived with a non-less yummy stamp on the back:


I think that it is impossible to collect all the Van Gogh stamps issued by the Netherlands. Only in 2015, they issued at least... 60! But I am not an exhaustive collector (Actually, I do not call myself a collector). So I am happy just to see Van Gogh on my letters and postcards, in order to get to know more about this amazing artist.



On the following stamp, issued in August, 2015, you can read (see here the whole set, bigger) a fragment of The Letters of Vincent van Gogh. It is written both in Dutch and the original French:
"Waarde Theo, ik ben als een bezetene aan het werk, want de bomen staan in bloei en ik wilde een Provençaalse boomgaard maken van kolossale vrolijkheid." /  "Mon cher Theo, je suis dans une rage de travail puisque les arbres sont en fleurs et que je voulais faire un verger de Provence d'une gaieté monstre"

A letter written on a stamp... isn't it a sort of disturbing idea?

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if it is disturbing...mind-blowing maybe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 60 van Gogh stamps...how wonderful...j'aime van Gogh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moi aussi. Je le redécouvre grâce aux timbres.

      Delete
  3. M'imagino el sobre buit i la carta al segell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Però els sobres, en aquest cas, venien plens! :D

      Delete
  4. Glad you like them!
    There are more van Gogh stamps meant to be sent to you in future :-)

    And indeed funny observation: a letter on a stamp, I thought it 'normal' so far, but I agree that it is the world upside down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating idea, and stamps. Love the van Gogh series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fantastic series.
      Van Gogh, cows and mills make half of the Dutch stamps! :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.