10 June 2017

F Is for...

This week's theme in Postcards for the Weekend is Flags. During the A to Z April Challenge, I uploaded some recently received postcards with flags (see here; the USA flag is worth seeing!). I also published some free postcards, and there was a lot of people commenting that free postcards are scarce nowadays...


Later, I received this flag postcard from FinnBadger (the USA); he obtained it for free at an exhibit about communication and friendship. They even mailed it for free! Well... the cancellation of the stamps wasn't the best, as you can see.


I added this postcard to the album of lighthouses, because the Statue of Liberty was first conceived as a lighthouse. But, alas, it proved useless. This is the very first postcard I have received of it!





And there is another postcards with flags that comes also from an exhibition at the British Library (London, UK), sent by Laura. The text, written in four languages (Russian, Arabic and the local languages Circassian and Nogay), reads: "The Mountain Dweller - Muslim Cavalry Division of Colonel Pupovskii invites volunteer Mountain Dwellers and Muslims. Enlist". I don't know exactly which flags are those, do you?

8 comments:

  1. A nice puzzle to find information about the flags. I didn't succeed. I found a historic black-orange/yellow-white flag on this Soviet flag page: https://02varvara.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/23-august-2012-ria-novosti-infographics-history-of-the-russian-state-flag/
    But the flag on the picture looks more blue-orange-white.. The part on the left will have to do something with rhe Musulman, and reminded me of the Pakistani flag but is totally different (both the colours and the distance to the location of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some research too, but I didn't find them. But I learn a bit about that languages, at least! :)

      Delete
  2. I forgot that the postage provided was also flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the 30 postcards were the same design? If so, it was made on purpose, to match the postcards, wasn't it?

      Delete
  3. The American flag with the Statue of Liberty is excellent! I agree, the cancellation for the stamps are queer. Thanks for sharing these postcards, the second one is such a treasure with the text in 4 different texts and languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy to receive both postcards. I had never got a postcard of the Statue of Liberty. what I find odd, after so many years receiving postcards from abroad...

      Delete
  4. Never knew the Statue of Liberty and lighthouse connection, how strange is that. The cavalry card is interesting, wonder if they are regiment flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that most people don't know about that. But I really wished to have this in my lighthouses collection!

      I guess you're right with the flags.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.