17 January 2016

Coastal Birds


I am far of an expert, but I think that at least two of these Coastal Birds are Water Birds, today's theme in Sunday Stamps - II. They were issued on June 1st, 2015. The birds represented are: the roseate spoonbill (Platalea ajaja), king eider (Somateria spectabilis), magnificent frigatebird (Fregata magnificens), and red knot (Calidris canutus).

These stamps (designed by Tyler Langremind me the work of Charley Harper. And I am not the only (see comments!). Harper is well-known, but I have just recently discovered this artist, thanks to FinnBadger. I am sure you can spot some more water birds on the postcard he sent to me: Mystery of the Missing Migrants (1990).

10 comments:

  1. Funny, we chose the same stamps today, and both showed some Harper as well! I love how he can simplify something so much - like the moon on that card, which is just an arc, yet we all know it is the moon. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that postcard but as I commented to Finn I rather see the actual birds than the representations on the stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But this is a post for "Sunday Stamps", not for "Sunday Birds" ;-)

      Delete
  3. I have one of these stamps (the red knot, a bird I'd never heard of) and I thought it was a Charley Harper design! So thank you for setting me straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see that I am not the only one who was confused!

      Delete
  4. I'm a little bit in love with those coastal birds stamps. I didn't know Charley Harper, lots of temptation arriving on the page with go to shop here on it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I love this designs. And Harper's designs!

      Delete
  5. I just now learned the designer of the Coastal Birds stamp serie is Tyler Lang. I was thinking they were Charley Harper's design, too!

    As I always try to draw birds as real as possible (and love to do that), designs like these, by Lang and by Harper, to me are really refreshing, I wish I could simplify the shapes and forms of the animals the way they do. But I accepted I can't, and am enjoying these stamps and postcard a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew one of these Harper birds and included it in my latest letter (surely not arrived yet).

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.